Wednesday, January 1, 2014

As trite as a New Year's resurrection may be... here we go.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"
- W. Shakespeare, Henry V, 3.1.1

"Don't call it a comeback - I've been here for years"
-L.L. Cool J, Mama Said Knock You Out

It would be difficult to restart a blog that I've been away from for almost 4 years without doing a little reflection on change... reflection which would hopefully lead to some illumination of how I am different from the last post of 2009, wherein after a flurry of food photography and florid prose, I said "I'm not dead, I promise..." and proceeded to let this part of myself, well, die.

Time doth march on, even as things like blogs fossilize
...  And I sit here a very different man.

So maybe I should just talk about how the blog is going to be different than it was ...

It's gonna be a food blog.  I mean, no way around it.  I like making food. A lot.  I like eating it even more, whether I made it or not.  I like talking about food, I like taking pictures of food, and I like putting all that shit on the internet.  In fact, while we're at it, here's some shit I've made in the past several months to look at.
Foil Roasted Eggplant with Olives and Mint
Momofuku Roast Pork with Kim Chee, House Pickles and Ginger/Scallion Sauce


Ribs.  And collards.  And Burgundy.
Strawberry Paloma... except with gin.


OK.  Back to business.  So, like I said, I'm still cooking.  And eating.  And taking pictures of it.  Thing is, that's all I was doing for awhile... and that made me fat.  Those of you who remember the original blog may remember the original background photo... I didn't want to admit it at the time, but your boy was a touch on the rotund side.  For reference, here's a smaller version of the photo:


Something had to change.  And about 4 years ago, it did.  I started CrossFit in February of 2010 as a guy who had come to a sudden realization about the reality of my health.  And through a lot of hard work, I managed to regain all the fitness I had lost from my youth, and then some.  Cool thing is, I also was able to, for the most part, still eat and drink like I did before.  The key is "most part."  I've made some changes in how I eat, and as a result I can enjoy myself and still kick ass in the gym and life.  And now, instead of looking like that portly gentleman above, I look more like this...




So, here we are!  It's still a food blog, like I said.  But sometimes it's gonna be a fitness blog, or a wine blog, or some mix thereof.  Sometimes I'm going to rant on my frustrations totally apart from any epicurean pursuits.  Hopefully you'll come along for the ride!  

Today is 1/1/14... so I guess one of my resolutions is to resurrect this thing and make it real.  Keep it rolling!  Work at it like I've worked on my body and mind.  In fact, there's a bit of a celebration about to roll through here later today... some roasted rack of pork, collards, hoppin' john, maybe some duck... I'll be sure to have it up by the end of the day tomorrow.  See you then...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Much love to you and your family in the new year. It's a privilege and pleasure to know and work with you. All the best!

winegeek said...

Thanks Bradley! Back atcha, brother.

QuiteLucid said...

Cheers!